For Two - Beautiful Duck Breast with Seasonal Veg
Dine at home with ingredients used by world-class chefs!
This box contains everything that you need for a beautiful meal, for two people, in the comfort of your own home.
Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or simply fancy a treat at the weekend, this meal box is the perfect solution.
Your 'Beautiful Duck Breast with Seasonal Veg' box will include;
- 2 x 10oz Duck Breast from our Master Butchers
With a thick skin and layer of fat, duck breast has a stronger, meatier flavour than chicken. When prepared and cooked properly, the fat melts to create a crisp, golden skin. A perfectly cooked duck breast will have succulent pink flesh.
Peter and James of Creedy Carver at Merrifield Farm in Crediton have supplied us with free-range chicken and duck for over 15 years. They share our passion and commitment to rearing birds to the highest standards of quality and animal welfare.
- 500g Devon New Potatoes - Beautiful, fresh and full of flavour! Optimal climatic conditions mean that Cornwall and Devon yield the earliest of the UKs potato crop each year. Devon New Potatoes are incredibly versatile; they are delicious simply boiled with a knob of butter or fried with little bit of garlic and rosemary.
- 1 x Celeriac, fresh from our fields - this versatile root is the unsung hero of the vegetable world! During these colder winter months, it is great mashed, roasted or added to a hearty stew, but it can also be eaten raw and gives an amazing nutty flavour to salads and slaws.
- 1 x Red Cabbage, fresh from our fields - Grown with minimal intervention and hand harvested at peak maturity throughout the long season, the resilient and rich red cabbage is incredibly versatile; delicious slow cooked, braised or pickled
- Punnet of Flower Sprouts, fresh from our fields - A cross between kale and brussels sprouts, these mini superfoods have a delicate, sweet nutty flavour and are best steamed.
- The Bay Tree Sweet & Zesty Caramelised Orange Sauce - Emma Macdonald marries traditional cooking methods with innovative flavours to create The Bay Tree’s delicious sauces.
- 1 x Bulb of Garlic, grown by The Garlic Farm on the Isle of Wight - Colin, Jenny and their family have been growing and hand picking their garlic on the Isle of Wight for over 40 years. The unique conditions mean the garlic is bursting with flavour.
- Season your duck breast with garlic, salt & pepper, then leave in the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight to dry out; this will help it crisp up. Remove from the fridge and set aside for 30 mins to bring the meat to room temperature.
- Score the skin in a criss-cross pattern or in parallel lines, not going through to the to the flesh; the idea is to expose as much of the
fat to the hot pan as possible.
- Put the breasts skin-side down in a cold frying pan and slowly heat the pan. This will melt the fat and help the skin to crisp
up without burning.
- Fry the breasts, letting the fat melt out and the skin crisp up. Keep frying until the skin is crisp and brown and you’ve melted out as much of the visible white fat as possible. This can take up to 10-15 minutes.
- Pour the excess fat into a ceramic or glass dish (we recommend saving it for roasting your potatoes).
- Heat the oven to 180°c/160 fan/gas 4 and cook for 5-6 mins for a rosy pink flesh or 10-12 mins if you’d like it well cooked.
- Rest the duck breast for 10 mins before slicing. Serve with your crispy roast potatoes, seasonal veg and Sweet & Zesty Caramelised Orange Sauce.
We recommend steaming your flower sprouts for 3-4 minutes and drizzling with olive oil, or roasting with olive oil, sea salt and black pepper with your carrots!
Braised Red Cabbage
You will need 1 sliced red onion, 70g soft light brown sugar, 70ml cider vinegar, 150ml red wine and a large knob of butter. Quarter your cabbage, remove the core and then finely shred. Tip all of the ingredients into a large pan and season well. Bring to simmer, then cover with a lid, lower the heat and cook for 1.5 hours, stirring every so often. Remove the lid and continue cooking for 30 minutes until tender.
If you’re short on time or ingredients, why not roast your cabbage! Simply cut into 8 equal wedges, place onto a lightly oiled baking tray and brush the wedges with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
Heat your oven to 200°c (180° fan, gas 6). Peel and chop your celeriac, place into a roasting tin and drizzle with olive oil. Season and bake in the oven for 45 minutes, stirring halfway through. When the celeriac is cooked, mash the pieces with a potato masher and season well.
For the crispiest roasties, roast in your left over duck fat!
- Wednesday & Friday £7.95 UK Standard Delivery Charge (per order)
- Excluding some post codes; Delivery | Darts Farm
- Gift messages may be added at check-out
Collection from Darts Farm is free - choose Collection at check-out.
- All of our hampers are packed carefully with all products laid flat and covered in shredded paper. This is to ensure that they are equipped for transportation and arrive with you safely.
- Woolcool liners
- Non-toxic re-usable gel packs
- Darts Farm branded recyclable cardboard box, made in the UK
- More information here: Sustainably Driven Hampers! | Darts Farm